Tax Return Amendment


Did you forget to include something on your tax return? You may need to amend it. The IRS may fix certain errors, but there are others that require the tax payer to send in a 1040-X. Some of those errors that require an amended return include but are not limited to the following:

• Changes in filing status

• Changes in income

• Changes in deductions claimed

• Changes in credits claimed

• Changes in tax liability

Please Note: If you are due a refund for a prior year, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years of the original return or within 2 years of when you paid the taxes – whichever is later.

Not sure if you should file an amended return?

Use this interactive tool from the IRS: